For over forty years Compeer has demonstrated the power of supportive friendships to improve the lives of people living with mental illness.
Here’s a sampling of our success in 2017:
- 78% reported an increase in social connections
- 87% reported a decrease in the inappropriate use of emergency room services
- 79% reported increased economic self-sufficiency and improved overall wellness
- 67% of youth served in 2017 had been in their match for at least one year
- 91% reported a high level of youth-centeredness in their match
- 100% reported a high level of emotional engagement with their mentor
- 91% reported a high level of overall satisfaction with their match and with Compeer services
- 100% of those served reported easier transition into civilian life
- Of youth from families that received support from our Family Peer Advocate, 81% have been in their match for at least one year; compared to 59% of youth from families that did not receive these services
- 100% of families receiving support reported an increase in their overall stability
Plus, several studies have produced proof-positive that the Compeer model works.
“Compeer is an exceptional organization that uses the power of friendship to support recovery from mental illness. The friendships initiated and nurtured through the Compeer program enable many people with mental illness to share their thoughts, feelings, achievements and frustrations in a healthy, healing, supportive and trusting environment. Compeer and its outstanding services have been promoting personal independence and recovery from mental illness in New York State for 40 years.”Dr. Michael F. Hogan, former Commissioner of the New York State Office of Mental Health